Monday, September 20, 2010

Cruise - Day 18 - 20 Sep

Greetings from beautiful Bunbury, WA! We arrived here early this morning – I doubt the captain even started the engines as Bunbury is only a 90 min drive south of Perth so we probably just floated in on the tide.

The people here are extremely friendly and welcoming. A lovely little band awaited us as we stepped ashore and then throughout the day there were people everywhere, handing out maps, available to answer questions and offering suggestions for activities. The townspeople also seemed very friendly and welcoming...and why wouldn't they – 2000 visitors to the town is nothing to be sneezed at!



Bunbury is quite a good sized & prosperous city and is the closest regional centre to the Margaret River Wine region as well as other popular tourist destinations. Gaz took the opportunity to get his hair cut, and it looks like I may have been sacked as his hairdresser. For only $18 he had a hair cut, beard (and eyebrows?) trim, as well as a head massage. He was most impressed. We spent a total of about 4 hours wandering around the streets of the town and surrounding beaches and Gaz is very keen to return. He's planning some odyssey across the Nullarbor as we speak...help!

I must admit I also enjoyed the town – it had a great feel and also some wonderful scenery. 

 

We were back on board by 2pm and set sail at 3.45pm with 3 toots of the ship's horn. Unfortunately Gary and I have discovered that they serve waffles as well as scones, jam & cream at the buffet at 4pm so I think we may have a new afternoon ritual. Did I mention that I wore my black pants last night and couldn't do the button up? This set me back on my heals so today I made some important changes...I stopped putting butter on my bread roll – that should make all the difference don't you think?

We attended another show tonight – Michael Young, a multi instrumentalist, mainly playing the banjo. He was good some of the time, but I must admit the backing band was better!



Well we are in Albany tomorrow – heading off to Whale World on a tour. Let's hope the weather is as kind to us as it has been for the last few days. Actually, the weather has been brilliant the whole trip. The only time we have seen any rain was a brief shower in Brisbane 2 weeks ago! Albany is apparently very windy – they have a wind farm that provides 75% of their power...let's hope it's taking a break tomorrow...

2 comments:

Frank and Lee Rynehart said...

Hi Guys,
Nice pic of the band - good welcome. Noticed overhead coveyor and thought it was probably coal, not grain or something else.
Across the Nullabor?? Good on you!
Don't worry about the button penny, The girls today who struggle to fit into their undersized, "butt hugging" jeans have to lay on their backs and hook a strong wooden coat hanger into the zipper of their fly to get up. How do I know this? My daughter Megan told me!
Trowel on the butter thick and worry about the buttons and zippers when you get back home. Hols are for splurging aren't they?
Quick bit of trivia. It's now around 11:30am here in Belmont North. That's only 4 more sleeps and 104 hours to kick off of the "Main Game". Go the mighty Tigs.
Bye for now,
Frank & Lee

Rae Neal said...

Not a bad idea to travel across the Nullarbor again. Last trip you did lots of reading and sleeping you found it so interesting. Then again maybe it was the company or the I/Pacific!!!