Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Day 16 – Brunswick Heads to Woolgoolga

Blue skies! That’s what we awoke to this morning and what we enjoyed all day. No sign of rain anywhere – yay! Our customary packing up routine went without a hitch and found us motoring out of the caravan park at 10am. We enjoyed our time at Brunswick immensely and named it the best place so far. Well, that mantle lasted for only a few hours until we arrived at our destination – Woolgoolga Lakeside Holiday Park. We were blown away by the location and our cabin.




The park is set with a lake/river on one side and then the beach adjacent. We can see both lake and river from our balcony, with the lake a mere 20 metres from our front steps with only foliage between us and the water. Gaz and I sat on the balcony enjoying the view when we were joined by two very friendly (and tame) kookaburras. Gaz fed them so they hung around and around and around. I’m guessing they’ll be back too.




After we unpacked, Gaz and I took a walk through the (smallish) park and found Maz and Kev setting up their van about 10 metres from a short track to the beach. We took the track and found a beautiful quiet stretch of beach that goes on and on in both directions. The small township of Woolgoolga is about 1km down one way and it looks pretty quiet the other way.




There were quite a few rocks washed up on the beach so Gaz and I foraged for some prime specimens for me to take home and paint. We walked towards the lake – which looks like it might join up with the beach at high tide – and did a big loop back to the cabin. It was great.



I was checking my facebook and found something amazing. A lady from Canada was out in Oz holidaying and picked up one of my rocks. She put a photo of it on NSW Rocks asking who had painted it and saying finding it made her happy. I replied and we struck up a conversation. She said she didn’t know what to do with it so put it back – what a shame! Otherwise my rock would have been winging it to Niagara Falls, Canada. The weirdly coincidental thing was that the lady found the rock at Coolum so I assumed I had left it there … but it turned out I had left it at Narrabri back on Day 1, a lady had found it and subsequently dropped it at Coolum … and she is from East Maitland. What are the odds?



Had a bit of a rest this arvo and minded Buddy while Kev and Maz went to get supplies for dinner. What a dinner it was! Maz whipped up a yummy steak and mushroom dish with rice and veggies while I used some of the left over rice to make another rice custard. Then it was time for the Main Event. That’s right – euchre. It was close … so close … but Maz and Gaz came home with a wet sail so it is now 4 rubbers to 3 (to the good guys – Kev and me) with 2 nights to go. Stay tuned.





No comments: