Saturday, May 11, 2019

Day 6 – Toowoomba


No need to get up early this morning so slept in til after 7, very comfy bed, very warm and snug so it was hard to get up at all. Although it was sunny it was blowing a gale outside so I thought it might be an idea to do some washing and hang it on the communal line at the caravan park. My initial reluctance to get out of bed was vindicated when I came back from hanging the washing at about 8:30 and said to Gary ‘it feels freezing out there’. I though I may have been exaggerating but my weather app confirmed that although the temp was 7.9 it did indeed ‘feel like’ 0.2! The wind continued all day and it was really cold ALL DAY.



With the domestic duties out of the way, Maz, Kev & I spent some time looking at our activities over the next few days – looking at opening hours, road conditions, distances etc. Gaz had found a pub TAB just ‘round the corner and was placing all his bets based on the tips he received last night. He even passed on the tip in the first race to the caravan park proprietor who promptly placed his bet. Thankfully that one got up, even though Gaz later discovered he had made a mistake and the horse he backed wasn’t really a tip after all. Oh, well, the luck of the Irish I guess.

In the meantime, we had all decided to rendezvous at Picnic Point Park where there is a fantastic café and lookout as well as a fabulous park. The scones Gaz and I shared were to die for – best ever … and that’s a big call. The cream was the best I had ever tasted. Although a bit chilly outside, we were rugged up and enjoyed the sunshine and the view. I took the opportunity to drop a few rocks as well … and for the first time I actually saw a little girl pick one up. She had been eyeing my progress as I hid the rocks and ran and picked the ‘be kind’ rock from inside the rotunda. I hope she enjoys it!





Maz and Kev went on to the Japanese Gardens which they said were amazing while Gaz and I went shopping for warmer jackets! After a quick lunch back at the cabin, Gaz, Kev & I walked the short distance to the pub to watch the mighty Newcastle Knights take on (and demolish) the Canterbury Bulldogs. The pub was packed and they had big screens everywhere – with both the footy and the races on so we were all covered. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any dart boards to continue training in my chosen sport…



Tonight we first went to a bar called The Moose where we met with Jordan and Angus and Jordan’s friend, Cindy, for a pre-dinner drink. It was then onto an awesome Turkish restaurant called Sofra where they had squeezed us in for an 8:15 sitting. It was worth the wait – great food, including some fantastic lamb cutlets that were to die for, great company and a really fun evening all ‘round. Home by 10:30 and in bed by 11 ready to move on again tomorrow.

No comments: