Thursday, March 12, 2020

Day 12 – Griffith Wineries



Last night’s dinner at Yecca was amazing! We couldn’t decide what to chose so we all (except Wayne, there’s always one, lol), shared entrees, pasta and mains (or should I say ‘secondi’). Everything, including the wines, liqueur, and limoncello, was perfect. And then there were the desserts! They were to die for - Gaz and I got three flavours of gelato which we shared with the others. I was way too full to look at their desserts!

After such an awesome meal, we went back to our cabin for a glass or two of port and a game of 6 handed euchre. I don’t think I’ve ever played it before and I can’t say we won, but it was fun. Bring back the 80s Trivia I say!

This morning we had our now obligatory coffee time in the main street of Griffiths. I happened upon a clothing sale and felt it was my bounded duty to spend some money in the drought affected town - it’s what we’re here for after all! Gaz and I found a lovely café and enjoyed a scrumptious warm apple pie and cream – we had lost the others while we shopped.



Meeting up with the others, we headed off to a gourmet deli and then a place where they make salami – both interesting and further purchases were made … of course. We then set out for Calabria Wines where more purchases ensued. I’m not much of a wine person and spent the whole time out the front on the phone to Alison but I heard it was good.





On our recommendation, the group then travelled back to town to Limone, the café we went to earlier, where we had a great lunch – most of us had Murray Cod, chips and salad while Gaz had the pancakes – can’t say I blame him – they looked awesome!



It was then back on the road and we headed for De Bortoli wines. Once again, I offered to mind Buddy for a while as I’m not that interested in tasting different wines – I know, I know, I’m a pleb – what can I say? I found Maz in the play area with Buddy and we showed him a good time on the play equipment while I also left some painted rocks for kids to find. It was very pleasant sitting in the shade with my ‘Buddy’.






‘Not to worry’, I thought, ‘we have one more winery to go so I will get to taste some wine at least.’ And this was to be a special one – we had heard that McWilliams Winery was closing down … today. There might be sales, we will be part of history! So, off we went … to find … they were supposed to close down after today but closed down yesterday instead. Oh well…

It’s Gaz and my turn to cook tonight so we did our shopping on the way home in preparation. You may have heard of the O’Shea Family signature dish – West African Chicken (aka WAC), well we are cooking WAP – West African Pork due to Gary’s aversion to chicken which has been going on for a while now. Wish us luck – the others have set the bar very high. Might need a quick dip in the pool first!

PS – I haven’t mentioned the share market or the coronavirus here on the blog ‘cause, well, I’m hearing plenty about it … and what can you say? Eat, drink and be merry?

No comments: