Thursday, March 5, 2020

Day 5 – Scenic World Katoomba – Railway, Skyway, Cableway, Walkway



Yay – the rain and mist had finally decided to give us a break, and on our last day here. Maz and I had been really keen to do Scenic World – you know, the Scenic Railway, Scenic Skyway, Scenic Cableway & Scenic Walkway. And boy, we did them all!



Leaving Gaz at the cabin to do the laundry (hey, he offered!), and Kev to mind Buddy, Maz and I set off about 9:30 am to head to Katoomba. We had an awesome Italian meal last night and needed to walk it off. The helpful staff at Scenic World gave us a suggested itinerary which we followed. We started with a trip on the Scenic Skyway – a large cable car that travels across from one cliff to another, over the Jamison Valley, near Katoomba Falls. The scenery was spectacular and there is even a portion of the floor that is glass so you can see straight down. As we were pretty early it wasn’t very crowded, and we had awesome views.





After alighting from the Scenic Skyway we walked for about 20-30 minutes – to the top of the Katoomba Falls, down a bit to where you can cross over the falls, then around the cliff to a couple of lookouts and up some steps and back around the loop to where we got off. The walk was great – concrete paths, wooden or concrete steps etc. Very civilised! This is the way to bushwalk! It was then back on the Scenic Skyway and back across to where we started so we could get on the Scenic Railway.





I wasn’t sure what to expect with this part of the adventure – cable cars I knew, but this was something else. Yes, I had seen the photos, but nothing quite prepared me for the sheer angle of the drop. It wasn’t scary as it’s not really looking out at anything, but it went a bit faster than I had anticipated and I did wonder for a second if I may just fall through all the other people to the front of the train. It was very quick – all over in a minute or so and we were halfway down the mountain.
We had decided to do the longer walk to get to the next sector, the Scenic Cableway to get us back up the mountain and set off on the fabulous wooden elevated boardwalks constructed for optimum viewing of the fantastic bush. These extend for 2.4km and are apparently the longest elevated boardwalks in Australia. We were really lucky to come across four lyrebirds, being drawn to them by their mimicking sounds. One did a great kookaburra call, and another made a sound like a gun on video game – amazing birds. We watched them for ages, hushing other walkers who came along the boardwalk and alerting them to the show being put on – it was all only metres from where we were standing – very special. A male was trying to impress a female and she was having no part of him – so funny. I left a few painted rocks along the way too.





I have to admit I was pretty tired and my ankle had started to complain by the time we arrived at the Cableway, ready to make our way back up the mountain. Maz and I were so lucky – every sector we seemed to arrive just as the car, train, whatever was about to leave. We had no waiting, no lining up, and the crowds were non-existent. Sad that tourism is down, but I guess that was a plus for us. I must admit it did seem to be building up as we left, a bit after midday. All in all, a fabulous experience, thoroughly enjoyed by both of us.





Back to Blackheath and we found an empty cabin/caravan on our arrival as the boys and Buddy had headed out for coffee. I found the laundry washed & folded (gee, I train ‘em well) and I was certainly ready for a rest. After a bread roll for lunch … OK, and a scorched peanut bar … I was looking forward to a quiet afternoon of reading and resting up, which is just what I did. I have to remind myself, it’s a holiday, it’s OK to just sit around as well as be active.
It looks like pizza is on the cards tonight … oh, and I think cards may also be on the cards too. After the very nice meal last night we had another round of euchre and, although it came down to the wire, the boys were once again victorious. Maz and I could be up for revenge! We might also try to somehow watch the Matildas who play tonight – I still haven’t quite recovered from watching the Australian Women’s T20 nail-biting World Cup semi-final on TV last night which we thankfully won.

It’s our last night here in Blackheath tonight and then it’s on the road tomorrow, heading for Wagga. It’s been great and we’ll be back for some golf lol.

No comments: