Monday, November 9, 2015

Day 9 - Travel to Nashville

Not much to report today. We had big plans for before we left for the airport but when we ventured out for our now regular "Joanie's" breakfast we found that it was flogging down with rain. I had planned to ride a cable car and walk up the famous crooked street - Lombard St - but the rain put paid to those plans. Instead we picked up our laundry and just hung out in the room for an hour or so until it was time to go to the airport. An uneventful shuttle ride later and we were off on our epic journey across the continent. First stop was Denver where we had 10 minutes to find our connecting flight...and we made it. It seems no-one flies to Denver to go to Denver, it is just a hub where people connect to go somewhere else. Poor Denver!

Anyway after out two and a half hour flight to Denver we were up in the air again heading to Nashville on another two and a half hour flight. Thankfully Carly had planned our entertainment well in advance and so we double jacked into her iPad and watched the latest series of Nashville, the TV show - we managed four episodes and saved a couple for later. (Take note Gary, you don't need to save the episodes I'm missing as I have now seen them!) This passed the time really well and in no time at all it seemed we had arrived in Nashville.



We rang our hotel earlier today to enquire about their shuttle service and were told we just had to wait at the airport as the shuttle ran every 45 minutes. So, we waited...and waited...and waited. It was cold, it was raining, and it was now 9:45pm (we lost 2 hours with the new time zone). Heaps of other hotel shuttle buses kept going on by and eventually one of the drivers asked us why we had been standing there so long. He suggested we call the hotel...which we did...and they said "oh sorry we told you the wrong thing...you should have called us when you arrived - we'll send it now" grrrrr. So, the shuttle finally arrived to pick us up at 10pm and we had been waiting since 9pm!

The driver was a lovely bloke called Mac who chatted all the way to the hotel and suggested places to go and see. After check in I was extremely hangry and went in search of food. None was to be found but the guy on the front desk suggested I call room service. I said this had occurred to me but there was no menu in the room. He then suggested I walk to the restaurant to see the menu (which seems to take away somewhat from the concept of room service I thought). Eventually I went back to my room and called room service for about 10 minutes and no one answered. I was getting really hangry by this time. So I called the front desk and they eventually answered after about 5 minutes and then they put me on hold for another 5 minutes and then finally someone took my order. I must concede they were then quite efficient in getting the club sandwich to me which was just as well as it was now 11pm and I had eaten nothing but a meusli bar since breakfast and was in danger of eating my arm!


Need a good nights sleep now for tomorrow we explore!

No comments: